Tuesday, September 13, 2016

New Thesis Statements


After thinking about my thesis, I won't limit my choices of styles now. Thesis ideas will be changed a lot in those days.

What I want to do:

Choosing a picture(famous oil painting, ink painting or others), and turning this picture into 3D images through modeling and texturing.
Who did this before:
Seward Johnson did something similar before. Although he did this in the real world and use real human as models, but the idea was close. He got the final works by make up and photograph. I will get my final by modeling and texturing,

Here are Seward Johnson's works:
icons-revisited






(from website: http://sewardjohnsonatelier.org/series/icons-revisited/)





The last one is interesting. Johnson used a picture frame to separate the space so that audience would think that the Portrait part was the portrait and the other parts were belong to a sculpture. But audience wouldn't recognize that the portrait was also sculpture.

What I want to do is "misdirection, misconception, and photo realism." Make audience think my works were painting but not 3D when they look at it at first time. Then they say: "oh 3D images!" when the camera turn or other images are shown.


Think Deep:

If I only following the origin painting and model it, the final will be boring. I will try to pay attention on "design" so that I can make my final interesting. Composition is important.

I would like to make an environment more than an portrait.

What I can do:


Autodesk MAYA modeling and rendering(mental ray), Mudbox









Adobe Photoshop, AfterEffect, character design:








What I think I can do:

Software ( Zbrush)
Improving drawing skills
Renderman Rendering
rigging (I know how to do but not good at rigging)

No idea:


Any software that I don't know but good for improving my project




No comments:

Post a Comment